Sunday, December 11, 2011

Identify and Assess

You might be unsure of where to even begin with your stress management.

Papers won't stop needing to be graded.
Your child won't stop needing a ride to (insert any multitude of extra-curriculars!).
Groceries won't stop needing to be bought.

Managing your stress is about taking back control in all aspects of your life.
Take back control of the things you can control:
your thoughts, your emotions, your choices and your environment

So, first things first!
Identify the things that cause stress in your life.
Make a list.

Is it stressing you out that you always seem to be hecticly running out the door each morning, inevitably forgetting something super important while you're at it?
How does that make you feel? Panicky? Sweaty? Confused? Identify how you feel physically feel because of the stress.

Now, identify how you usually handle stress-
Are you a smoker?
Procrastinator?
Zoning out in front of the t.v.?
Do you overeat?

Ok, so now think of some healthier ways to deal with these stressors.
I just quit smoking last week!
Which is great, super healthy, but now what am I supposed to do for stress??

My first healthy option is to breathe.
I used to breathe when I was stressed. Well, breathe in a lot of cigarette smoke!
But now, giving myself a full 10 seconds to breathe (without the cigarette smoke!) gives me enough time to let whatever super stressful feeling I have to mellow a bit.
Then I can think clearly and assess the situation.

I recently read an article on stress management that lists 4 important stress management strategies:
- Avoid the stressor
- Alter the stressor
- Adapt to the stressor
- Accept the stressor

Avoid unnecessary stress!
Learn to say "no" when asked to take on more than you're comfortable with. (Nope, sorry, I can't set up the cookie table for the parent/teacher conference today, thank you for thinking of me though.)
Avoid people who stress you out. (Is the staff lounge a nice place to eat lunch, or is it full of people who should have retired years ago because they hate their jobs?? Find someone upbeat to eat lunch with! Or go for a walk during your break.)
Alter the situation!
Don't bottle up your emotions; speak up when things bother you. Alter yourself-- alter your reaction. Be assertive. Take control of your schedule and how you spend your time.
Adapt!
Look at the big picture and stay positive!
Accept!
If you haven't heard the "Serenity Prayer" before, it's a useful mantra for more than just recovering alcoholics. It's a great thing for everyone to remember.
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference."


Please take a look at the article discussed above here:
http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_management_relief_coping.htm

So what do you think?
Are there any things here that you think you can do to help with your stress reduction?
Not one thing will work for every body. A combination of things, catered to each individual is what usually works.
Do you have another strategy you'd like to share with us? You might be able to help someone find a way to manage their stress! Please share your ideas below!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you LaProfesoraFrida for this post. My Gran was the first person I knew to use the Serenity Prayer. I've chosen this blog for the Liebster Award - Nyla.
    Nyla's Crafty Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Nyla!
    My brother is the first person I've known to use the Serenity Prayer.
    I'm honored that you've chosen my blog for the Liebster Award.
    -Sarah (LaProfesoraFrida)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stress is something we teachers have to deal with, day in and day out. Love your blog about this topic! It makes me think a lot about how to reduce some of the stress! :)
    Ruth
    http://teacherpark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the unfortunate thing about our job is that it comes with a lot of stress!
    The fortunate thing is that it is all worth it! :)

    Breathe in peace, Breathe out the stress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! I found your blog through Global Teachers Connect (I am a new member)and have followed you. I can't wait to get to know you and other teachers from all over the world.

    best wishes,
    Trish @ http://miss-hoppy.blogspot.com/

    p.s.
    Raki (of GTC) promised this would be a stressful
    year for (as I am a first year teacher). lol I will
    make sure to hop on over your site to read your tips.

    ReplyDelete