Monday, July 20, 2015

Back to School Teacher Problems, No Cell Phones In Class Please!

Back to School Teacher Problems
 
I got 99 problems, and you being on your cell phone is 1 of them.
 
 
 

It's that time of year again.  Back to School!  Which seriously, I love.  I get giddy with back to school excitement and even have my own BTS ritual of watching "School of Rock" (Jack Black) the night before the first day of school. 

But let me tell you what I don't love: Having to deal with teenagers and cell phones.

Whoever the first teacher was to post THIS sign in his/her class is a down right genius in my book.  And I might need to follow suit.  Teenagers can appreciate some sarcastic jabs, right?



Here's another great one that I think can go right in the middle of my bulletin board:
 
 
All joking aside, how are we to handle all of the inevitable and against-the-rules cell phone usage we will see as school starts up again?
 
First, we need to know what the school policy is.  And enforce it. 
 
But secondly, my strategy is to keep my students so occupied and engaged by the lesson that they won't have time to look at their cell phones
 
I rarely have a lesson in which my students are seated for the entire class period.  Mixing things up is the name of the game!  They already are enrolled in classes where they have to sit through lectures- when they get to my class, I want them to know to expect to be an active participant in the lesson.  Which leaves little room for checking their FB or Instagram. 
 
That's my plan!  What about you?  Any good suggestions for how to deal with students and cell phones?  Leave a comment and let me know your strategies!
 
~La Profesora Frida
 
 
 
 
 
 
 










1 comment:

  1. I had a girl who I was sure was on her cell phone. She kept looking to her lap and moving her hands. I walked over and said, "Give it to me," (Students are always amazed that teachers know these things). She sighed and handed over..... her nail polish! She'd been painting her nails!!! I totally played it off that I was not surprised, but I did NOT expect that one.

    As for what I do? At the start of the year I usually show them that they aren't as good at multitasking as they think they are http://eslcarissa.blogspot.com/2013/01/why-cant-i-text-during-class.html Once they realize I am doing this to HELP not punish, we tend to do a lot better.

    Finally, and this one is only in March, almost every year UNICEF does this "don't use your phone challenge." Go to the website start a timer and ... DON'T TOUCH YOUR PHONE. For every minute your phone is not used they donate water! There are some things to consider (a charging station and free wifi) but this is a great way to motivate students to stay off their phone and do some good http://eslcarissa.blogspot.com/2014/02/keep-students-off-their-phones-and-help.html

    ReplyDelete